[A] Tensile Testing of Engineering Materials
1) To understand different mechanical properties of materials.
2) To observe how the three types of materials behave in their mechanical properties under the tensile and bend test.
3) To understand the major factors which determine those mechanical properties
[B] Scanning Electron Microscope (SEM)
The main objective of this activity is to get familiar with the Scanning Electron Microscope (SEM) and the most common detectors used to collect images and chemical data of materials.
The objectives will be a basic understanding and assimilation of the following:
1) Basics of Scanning Electron Microscopy theory and instrumentation
2) Basics of Signal Detection theory and instrumentation for Secondary Electrons (SE), Backscattered Electrons (BSE) and Energy Dispersive X-ray (EDX) detectors.
[C] Composite Material Processing
The objective for this experiment is to introduce materials processing to the students. In this case, it is in composite materials.
1) To understand what is composite materials and how to fabricate them 2) To appreciate the applications of composite materials in daily life 3) To appreciate the mechanical properties of composites